Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Enter into a Gluten-Free World

Hi. My name is Jessica Tramp, I am 18 years old, I am a freshman at Santa Clara University and I’m a celiac. Can you imagine yourself going an entire five years or more completely eliminating your favorite type of food? For those of you who can relate to this, I commend you on this difficult, but not impossible journey. Many people are increasingly being diagnosed with health complications/allergies, while many others are learning of the benefits of not eating certain types of foods. As for myself, it has almost been five years since I was welcomed into the world of gluten-free eating. The initial start to living as a celiac was pretty rough, but after living with this dietary complication for a few years now, I can honestly say that it is not the end of the world. 
As I watched my mom hang up the phone after talking to my doctor about my results, I could tell by the tone in her voice that it wasn’t the news we’d been hoping for. I remember thinking from that moment on I would never be able to eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, chocolate chip cookies or cupcakes. Since then, I have experienced the initial reactions to this disease, found others just like me to talk to, and conquered the gluten giant that was terrorizing my body. I know what it is like to go gluten free, and trying to do it alone whether for health reasons or by choice would definitely be extremely challenging.
I am writing this blog to try and reach out to those who are going gluten free and have already begun to realize the full load of being a celiac. I have so much experience, knowledge, stories, and support to offer that it would be a waste if I didn’t come forth and share them all with you. I would have gone crazy if it weren’t for the people in my life who helped me through such a drastic change, and now it is my turn to help you through the start of your expedition in this unfamiliar territory.
Luckily for you, nowadays going gluten free is so much easier. When I first went out shopping for gluten-free bread, it was as if I was searching for a needle in a haystack, and even if I eventually found that needle, it just wasn’t the same as what I was used to. Today, if I go out to any local grocery store, I can almost always find something gluten free. Even Betty Crocker has developed gluten-free products of our favorite baked goods, companies are now labeling all of their products as certified gluten-free, and there are tons of more options to choose from. Usually, food made with gluten-free flour is a lot better than if it were made with regular flour. I have found that rice or corn noodles, for example, taste the same, if not better, than common wheat-based spaghetti. You’re probably thinking how is this possible, right? Well, believe it. Going gluten free in today’s age is a piece of gluten-free cake!
Ever since being diagnosed with celiac, I have developed a whole new outlook on the food that I eat. I have experienced many rough patches along this journey, but the success of being able to stay gluten free feels amazing. Even after a few weeks, I could already feel a difference in the way I felt. Physically, my energy levels increased, I wasn’t tired all the time anymore, and I gained a healthy amount of weight. Emotionally, I felt empowering. By not eating gluten, I experienced self-control on a whole new level, and I became so much livelier and happy. I want you to be able to have that moment where you know that your health is going to prosper, in multiple ways, by going gluten free. Of course, this takes a lot of dedication and hard work, but don’t worry, I, as long as many others, understand what you are going through and will encounter in this process. It is my goal to make this journey a lot smoother for you, your families, and your friends. Stick by my side, and you will never look back on your decision to be gluten free.
Stay tuned to read more about the advancements of gluten-free products available to everyone, a guide to staying gluten-free while eating out, the successes and benefits of eating gluten-free foods, and much more. I hope you enjoy my blog, as I am very excited to offer you advice, support, and gluten-free experiences.

2 comments:

  1. Jessica, your story is so inspiring! I'm curious, how did even come to the discovery that you were celiac? Were you experiencing health issues that you didn't have an explanation for? I have a silly fear that I could be celiac and not even know it! I've often thought that I might like to try to be gluten free, just because I feel like it would be healthier for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your story, especially as you cover your initial discovery about being a celiac, and then progress to how you are now. For me, I have allergies to certain types of crab and shrimp. my allergic reactions vary depending on quantity and type eaten. Sometimes, i dont even have any allergies to crab at all, and other times...it can get pretty ugly. Do you have any advice or recommendations on how to actually find out which specific seafood im allergic to?

    ReplyDelete