Friday, March 15, 2013

Gluten Freedom: A New Perspective on the Way I Eat


One of the best parts about being diagnosed with celiac disease, in my opinion, is that anyone can have it. According to The National Foundation for Celiac Awareness, “one in 133 Americans have celiac disease”, estimating that about three million Americans are affected by this health issue every day. The support from others who have this disease has been a blessing in disguise. I have gained new knowledge, recipes, advice, and much more from others who went through the same things as I have. One woman in particular has had a great influence on my outlook towards gluten-free eating. Eating gluten free can be a tough experience, but it is how you decide to deal with this change that will affect the rest of your life.              
url.jpgWhen I was first diagnosed with celiac disease, my family and I had barely any knowledge of what gluten was. As a result, my mom decided to find a book that would help all of us comprehend what exactly we would be getting ourselves into. Shauna Ahern, the author of the highly acclaimed novel Gluten-Free Girl, shares her story of living gluten free, but adds a different perspective. Growing up in Los Angeles, California as a child, she always knew something was off, but couldn’t quite put her finger on it. She was fed processed foods, frozen TV dinners and brand name products for most of her life and thought nothing of it. It wasn’t until she was constantly falling ill that someone suggested she look into celiac disease. In May of 2005, while Shauna was living in Seattle, Washington as a high school English teacher, she was diagnosed with celiac disease. Instead of thinking about the things she would be missing out on in the food world, like most people do, Shauna exclaimed, “yes!” when she found out. Not only does she have one of the most joyful, excited and eager standpoints towards gluten-free living, but she provides her readers advice, creative recipes, no gluten of course, a memoir of her experiences and also an approach of how to eat well regardless of if you are a celiac or not.


            Throughout Shauna’s writing, her happiness shines. She finally felt well enough to enjoy the things she truly loved. In her case specifically, changing the foods she ate and exploring every available option lead her not into a gluten-free mindset, but into gluten freedom. The entire memoir is about learning how to make better choices with the foods you eat to make life better. Shauna wants people to be able to find a way to love food as much as she does through their own discoveries with different foods and ingredients. As Shauna continues on her own journey of gluten-free living, she encourages all of her readers to follow her lead. She expresses the change she has undergone saying “ I felt a shift happening in my life. All through out my childhood, I heard no. Now, after knowing my own story and cooking gluten-free food, spontaneously everything in my life pointed to yes.” (Ahern 231) Now more than ever, Shauna is opening up the eyes of many to this way of eating. Her upbeat, happy attitude and life changing experiences provide an inspirational viewpoint on eating to better your life. It is not about eliminating or taking away the “toxins” of your life that you are eating, but unlocking all the wondrous possibilities of eating something that makes life better and most importantly, food that you love.
            As a celiac myself, I was able to relate to a lot of what Shauna wrote about in her memoir. Even though I am not a cooking genius, I have learned to find new ways of cooking gluten-free and obtained helpful advice on how to eat stay away from gluten at restaurants, while traveling and much more. For most people eating gluten free, there are moments when you miss certain foods or experiences with food and Shauna addresses these doubts towards eating gluten free, but she is always able to turn those feelings around. She gets her readers thinking about how much better life will be as they resist that craving. I am truly convinced that she cares about food and providing everyone with the chance to eat in the best way possible for their body. Her use of pathos throughout her book changed the way I think about celiac disease. The visual images that Shauna describes such as “the bite of the garlic; the subtle depth of the tomato sauce; the fresh mozzarella, better than [she] had ever tasted” on her slice of pizza made my mouth water just reading it. (Ahern 201) All of her experiences tug at your heart while you are reading and inspire people to make the best decisions for themselves. Flashing back to a specific non-gluten free memory and then taking that experience to create something wonderfully delicious and without gluten is how Shauna is able to open the eyes of her readers and realize the possibilities that await someone in their own journey of eating what’s healthiest fro themselves. Upon finishing this book, I have gained a whole new perspective on eating gluten free. No longer will I sulk over foods I cannot eat, but instead, uncover all the new and exciting foods that will accompany me in my own journey as a celiac.      
           




Works Cited

Ahern, Shauna J. Gluten-Free Girl: How I Found the Food That Loves Me Back and How You Can Too. Hoboken, New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2007. Print.

National Foundation for Celiac Awareness. Ed. Tina Battistoni. Celiac Central, 2011. Web. 5 Mar. 2013. <http://www.celiaccentral.org/celiac-disease/facts-and-figures/>.

No comments:

Post a Comment