There is so much to learn about eating
gluten free, especially if someone has no knowledge of what exactly gluten
consists of. What specific ingredients
have gluten in them? Where can I find gluten-free foods? What stores sell them?
Many different questions, like these, raced through my mind as I realized that
this was how I would be eating the rest of my life. I’m sure that you are
asking yourself similar, if not the same questions. Don’t panic. Nowadays, the
awareness of Celiac Disease has increased greatly and the strides toward
creating gluten-free ingredients, foods, and products have made going gluten
free a lot easier.
The other day as I was making my bi-monthly
trip to the local grocery store Safeway, I decided to pay more attention to the
different types of products offered there. Normally, I would walk into Safeway
knowing exactly what I want, find it, buy it, and leave, but not this time. I
took my time as I walked through each and every aisle of the store. I noticed a
lot more in doing so and realized that Safeway really does offer a great
expanse of choices, especially gluten-free products.
Many food items are already gluten free, but
as a first-time celiac, one may be skeptical about whether or not that bag of
chips has gluten in it or if that can of soup is flour based. I know that as I
went out shopping for the first time as a celiac, I was very cautious about
every single food item I looked at in the store. Safeway, along with many other
local food stores, has helped accommodate a celiac’s need for gluten-free
products. A lot of the packaging that
gluten-free foods are sold in will now say “certified gluten free,” which
allows shoppers so much more ease while figuring out if that food is safe for
their body. They sell one of the best tasting sandwich bread called Udi’s, they
also sell a whole line of rice and corn pastas by Mr. Leeper’s and a ton of
rice or corn based cereals. Five years ago, when I first was diagnosed, I did
not have this luxury, and let me tell you, that it is a tremendous help and
ease now when I go shopping. Not only does Safeway sell these products but it
also displays most of their shelves with Simple Nutrition tags. These will say
whether you can find a gluten-free product or not, but also include about 20
other additional health related information as well. Some of these tags express
if something is sugar free, organic, low calorie and many others. It is a smart
and simple way to help out a celiac shopper.
As a celiac, I face a more challenging
process when it comes to shopping for food. Safeway, and many other grocery stores,
has helped lift this burden off everyone’s shoulder while shopping for
gluten-free products. Knowing that almost anywhere I go I can find gluten-free
foods is less stressful and makes my shopping trips a lot better. So to all you
first time celiac shoppers who are scared and anxious about buying something
that is not gluten free, don’t worry. The advancements towards making
gluten-free products available to everyone have taken away many uncertainties
for costumers as they make this transition into a gluten-free world.
I've always found it interesting to hear about the different food allergies people gave. I can't even imagine how difficult it was trying to find food when you first found out that you couldn't eat anything with gluten. I've really enjoyed reading your blog and learning all about what it is like to have Celiac disease. I've seen the signs around the school and at Safeway but I never really understood quite what it meant to be gluten free. I can't imagine how difficult it must have been to try and find gluten free food at first and without all the signs that restaurants and stores have now.
ReplyDeleteWow, I can't imagine how hard it must have been to give up so many favorite foods. I'm glad that so many brands are offering gluten free options now. Out of curiosity, what happens if you eat gluten? Is it more like an allergy?
ReplyDeleteJessica. I'm glad to hear that it is easier to visually see gluten free foods at grocery stores now. I have started to see them more frequently as well. Working at Benson, I know that we have the option of gluten-free pasta that one or two people will order each night. You mentioned it is very delicious, and even people who can eat gluten have found it enjoyable. I'll have to give it a try soon.
ReplyDelete